Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Quality of Subtitles


One of the reasons I like watching movies on DVD is the English subtitle option for English movies. It bugs me sometimes when I watch a movie and can't catch what a character is saying. This occurs when a character is either whispering or has a thick accent that makes understanding what they're saying difficult, so subtitles definitely help me understand the story better.

However I have noticed that the quality of subtitles on some DVDs are crappy. First is that some lines of dialogue are completely omitted. Second is that the subtitling seemed to have been done by putting the audio through a program that transcribe the lines, with absolutely no editing. So words gets mixed up. Hear appears as here or wear as where. Also I've noticed that if the audio is soft due to it being a whisper (still very audible for me to hear what was actually said) or sometimes for no apparent reason, only some words get picked up or some are misinterpreted making the whole line incoherent. Basically the crappy quality of some these subtitles annoys me. Has anyone experience such bad subtitling?

4 comments :

  1. More than anything else, I love love subtitles on English movies especially that I'm a Filipina. Whenever the actors' or actresses' accent becomes too thick for my taste, subtitles are a life saver. Helps me appreciate the movie more. :D

    Thoughts and Pens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I forgot to specify that the English subtitles were the one I'm referring to...I have since edited to include that in.

      Delete
  2. I nearly always use subtitles, even for a film where they are speaking English. Just to make sure I catch what they are saying. So often now I find sound muffled on films and I don't want to risk missing something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Muffled sounds annoy me. No matter how much I increase the volume, the spoken words can't really come through.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...