Sunday, December 30, 2012

Recommendation of the Week: Romeo and Juliet (1968)

Director Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 version of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was touted at the time of its release (successfully, if the box-office (more...)
69% liked it
PG, 2 hr. 20 min.
Director: Franco Zeffirel...
Released: Oct 8, 1968
DVD: May 23, 2000

 
























                                                                                                                                                      
I know many may have seen this movie for English or Literature class. But this had not been shown in my class. Although I have heard of this movie for some time, I didn't like the stagy-ness look that it seem to have from some of the footage I had seen. 

So finally this year I took the the time to see this and thought that this Romeo and Juliet adaptation was wonderful. I loved that they kept the original setting. They also actually casted two young actors to play the leads which worked out great as it made the puppy love and the foolishness of the characters' actions much more believable. And that song What is a Youth, really stuck for me. I kept humming it after the movie. 

Perhaps seeing a 50 year old or so movie may not seem fun, but this is pretty good and with a new movie starring Douglas Booth and Hailee Steinfeld in the title role coming in 2013, it would be interesting to check out this one if you still haven't.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...